Japanese authorities consider ''taxing'' UHF RFID
July 31, 2004
Japanese Ministry of Public Management, Home Affairs, Posts and Telecommunications (Soumu-Sho) is currently working on new fee structure for radio frequency uses. On Friday, they said the following technologies would not be "taxed".
- Wireless LAN (IEEE802.11 b/g/a)
- ETC (Electronic Toll Collection)
- RFID readers and tags using 2.4GHz and 13.56MHz bands
But they also revealed that they are considering "taxing" the following technologies:
- RFID readers using the 950MHz - 956MHz band (In Japan, this frequency band will likely be available for RFID systems next spring).
- Information appliances using the 5GHz band
Cross-posted from RFID in Japan
Posted by konomi